Today, I’m going to share my basic Sourdough Bread recipe with you. Most people don’t want to read a long blog post about a recipe. People come to a site for a recipe and thats what I’m going to give you.
Let’s Gather Our Supplies
Kitchen aid Mixer with dough hook
Large proofing bowl
Banneton proofing baskets
Flour sack towels
Let’s Gather Our Ingredients
1 cup Active Sourdough starter (bubbly)
1 cup All-purpose flour
2 cups Bread Flour
1 cup Filtered water (warm)
1 tsp course Sea Salt
note: 1 tsp baking soda to improve your crumb
1. Add filtered water and active sourdough starter to your Kitchenaid mixing bowl and mix on low until combined.
2. Add in flour and knead until combined.
3. Cover with a damp flour sack towel and let sit for 30 minutes.
4. Remove cloth and sprinkle the sea salt all over the dough. With wet fingers press the salt into the dough.
5. Stretch and Fold: mentally dived the dough into 4 sections. Grab the first section and pull up (stretch) into the center. Do the same thing with the 3 remaining sections. Let rest for 30 minutes. Repeat every 30 minutes for a series of 4 stretch and folds.
5. Bulk Rise: cover with a damp flour sack cloth and let rise until its doubled in size,
6. Pour onto a lightly floured surface using your bread scraper to shape. OPTIONAL: At this point you can work in the baking soda to improve your crumb. Stretch out flat, fold one side over the other and then one end over the other. Push and pull the dough into a tight ball.
6. Prepare your Banneton proofing basket. Place your cotton liner or flour sack cloth, over your basket and flour generously.
7. Place dough ball (seam side up) into your prepared Banneton basket and cover with a flour sack cloth and Place in the refrigerator. Let the dough proof for for 8 - 12 hours.
8. Remove from refrigerator and turn onto a piece of parchment paper to score.
9. Transfer into a preheated Dutch oven and place intoa 450 degree oven. Add 3-4 ice cubes between the parchment paper and the Dutch oven. Place lid on and bake for 30 minutes.
10. Remove lid and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
11. Remove from oven and let cool for two hours before slicing.